I love potato latke as much as I love modifying recipes so I tried my hand at an egg and potato latke yesterday for lunch. It was a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes and bonus (for those with celiac disease), it’s gluten-free too.
I had an online request for sharing this recipe, I honestly didn’t think this one was very exciting so although surprised, I was happy to oblige. <<shout out to Corinne>>
In a bowl combine:
- 1/2 cup (leftover) mashed potatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped white onions
- 2-4 tbsp chopped broccolini (also try fresh spinach or broccoli)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp grated cheese (try older cheddar or gouda for a sharp flavour)
- Dash of pepper
- Mix all ingredients in bowl.
- Heat a lightly oiled non-stick frying pan on medium heat.
- Add mixture to hot pan stirring constantly for 30-60 seconds to allow the centre of the mixture to get hot.
- Turn heat to low-medium. Let mixture cook in pan with lid on without agitating until cooked. A crisp brown layer will begin to form on the bottom and the eggs will cook throughout when cooked. This will take approx 7-12 minutes depending on your pan and heat levels.
Once cooked to your liking flip onto a plate brown side up and serve with your favourite hot sauce.