If you are leaving the house with fresh vegetables or you’ve got vegetables that are about to go off try these steps to save them! (And yourself some time in the future)
- Wash and cut the vegetables into large pieces.
- Blanch the vegetables. (Boil water, drop vegetables in boiling water briefly. Drop vegetables in cold water and set aside.)
- Purée or blend the vegetables.
- Pack vegetables into freezer bags of at least 1 cup vegetables.
- Freeze vegetable bags.
- In the future use your frozen vegetables to add into pasta sauce to increase vegetables in a meal or make homemade soup, chili or curry!
Don’t skip the blanching step!
Don’t keep the frozen vegetables for longer than 12 months for best quality. See here for more information.
Squeeze the air out of your zipper bags before closing and freezing.
Label and date your vegetables.