This vegetable loaded soup can have many varieties based on your preferred cream soup texture and your favourite vegetable combinations.
To begin add 1-3 puréed onions in a pot on medium heat with 1-3 tsp oil or butter. Cook until slightly browned while stirring frequently.
In a blender purée:
1 bag of frozen broccoli (approx 400-500 grams)
1 cup raw spinach
2 cloves garlic (optional)
2 cups milk or alternative
Add the vegetable purée to the cooking onions in the pot along with 1 cup of water.
Bring vegetable mixture to a boil then turn down to low heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, 1 bay leaf, dash of thyme, 1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional. NOT chili powder)
Add 1/2-1 cup of cheese. If you don’t like cheese stick to 1/2 cup, however, if you love a cheesy soup go for the full cup of cheese. I find a combination of cheeses is the best option.
Try sharp cheese to give your soup a distinct flavour. I recommend a combination of fresh Parmesan, old cheddar, Emmental and soft or hard Gouda.
- This soup makes a great appetizer or vegetable side dish. I recommend it when you need a quick vegetable to add to your meal.
- This dish goes great with sloppy joes, boiled eggs, fish, beef and poultry!
- The broccoli can be replacd with any vegetables but I recommend swapping the broccoli for asparagus or cauliflower.
- If there are leftover vegetables in the fridge (raw or cooked) throw them into the blender and add them to the soup.
- Taste test your soup before serving. If there isn’t enough flavour you can add 1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth. Curry powder can be overpowering but offers quite a nice flavour profile to a creamed vegetable soup that not everyone has tried.
- Be comfortable exploring with this recipe, it is ok to experiment with new spices and vegetable combinations!
If you try it and like it please leave a comment and let me know! If you make up your own modification let me know and I love trying new recipes!