A glance of what I’ve usually got packed in my day bag while travelling.. Even before I was a dietitian I was always planning on what food to throw in my bag any time that I was traveling away from home.
With education comes knowledge (usually) so as my knowledge has evolved so have my tastes and my diet. Time, however, has not changed one thing. I’ve always been ‘a packer and a planner‘. These days my day bag is a large purse or a comfy grey backpack and I’ve always got my camera and a tripod in there along with:
- Nat Geo, Monocle or a local newspaper for downtime.
- Local map
- Body, face and lip sunscreen (spf 50+)
- Hand sanitizer wipes
- Epi-pen- I’m allergic to a lot of fruit.
- Ear phones
- Electrolyte tabs (never can be too prepared for food poisoning)
- Phone case/charger
- Bars- I usually shop around for bars to find some with as few ingredients as possible and no added sugar. Sometimes it’s an oatmeal bar or a dried fruit bar. I found some paleo bars in Cape Town I wanted to try so we packed at least one of each flavor to try out. We don’t follow a paleo diet but these bars intrigued me as they have 3-6 ingredients usually consisting of only fruits and nuts.
- Small portions of trail mix to provide an energy dense snack with carbs and protein. Will fill us up and provide energy in a hurry for the times that we can’t get a meal when we want one.
- Small portions of crackers for quick fuel when it’s needed and they won’t go stale.
- Bottled water
- Patagonia Houdini jacket- mint green light rain jacket that weighs only a few grams, has a lifetime warranty and packs up small.